In 1908 Wallsend Bowling Club came into being , when it was first affiliated with the NDBA , then known as Wallsend and Plattsburg. In later years Plattsburg was deleted.
The formation of the Club was due solely to Mr Tom Kear, who recruited local businessmen in the town for support. He succeeded in getting 40 members, a committee was formed and away they went.
The first committee was :
President – G. Froome
Secretary – T. Kear
Treasurer – M. Chapman
Committee: J. Gillespie, A. Young, H. Maddison, W. Harris Snr, A. Cook Snr, T. Fryer, A. Sneddon, G. Hurn, W. Rushton, the Greenkeeper was A. Hopkins.
The opening ceremony was performed by Mr George Wheeler who was secretary of the Coal Co, he was also the instigator of the land for the Club.
By 1948 membership had grown so quickly it had to be closed at 102 members.
The Club is still indebted to Mr Cyril Kime who was in charge of operations.
In 1962 Lighting was erected at a cost of 65 pounds, new land was purchased in Fogo St for the construction of 2 ½ greens, lots of volunteer labour involved in this challenge as the land needed lots of filling.
In 1958 other land was purchased opposite Fogo St, this did not prove a success, and other land was purchased to finish number 3 green.
Over the years many extensions and alterations have taken place right up to the new outdoor area at the northern end of the Club (October 2007).
Wallsend has always been strong in the Bowling department winning flags from number 1 to number 7 grade, and fielding 8/9/ 10 sides in the NDBA Pennants.
2008 has seen the Club’s Centenary, with a week of bowls and special Centenary luncheon, attended by many local dignitaries in June of that year. The Club was founded on the principles of good friendship and bowling, and continues to foster those values.